Appeals & Habeas Corpus
Passion. Knowledge. Dedication.
Screenshot(7) PhotoRoom.png PhotoRoom

Atlanta Appeals Attorney

Atlanta Post-Conviction Relief & Habeas Corpus Attorney

If you feel you are facing an unfair conviction decision or unjust imprisonment conditions, you have the right to request an appeal. At The Law Office of Ahmad R. Crews, Attorney Crews will take your post-conviction case very seriously with clear attention to every detail of your case. He takes a client-oriented approach to every case and treats each client with the respect that they deserve. When you work with Attorney Crews, you will be working with a lawyer who will be by your side from start to finish and represent you as the law protects you.

Call (404) 282-4190 to schedule your confidential consultation today.

Do You or Someone You Love Need to File an Appeal?

An appeal is a request to a higher appellate court to review and change the decision of a lower court, often filed by defendants hoping to overturn a guilty verdict. In an appeal, the defendant may challenge the conviction itself or may appeal the trial court’s sentencing decision.

The primary difference between an appeal and habeas corpus is based on the reason you are using the appellate process. Appeals are used to correct errors that occurred during the case; the appellate courts only consider what they can find within the file when evaluating the appeal and will not consider any new evidence. In other words, if you think that the trial judge made some legal error during the course of your criminal case, you will want to file an appeal or have your FTA charge removal. Note that an appeal is not the most effective option if you want another attempt at proving innocence in front of a jury or judge.

If you want the appellate court to consider evidence that the trial judge might not have had (evidence outside of your court file), you will want to file a habeas petition, which is used in situations when a legal error occurred that resulted in a loss of your rights.

What Is a Writ of Habeas Corpus?

Defendants who want to challenge the legality of their imprisonment or the conditions in which they are being imprisoned may seek help from a court by filing a petition for a “writ of habeas corpus.” A writ of habeas corpus is a court order to a person or agency (e.g. a prison warden) holding someone in custody to deliver the imprisoned individual to the court issuing the order.

A writ of habeas corpus gives jailed suspects the right to ask a judge to set them free or order an end to their improper jail conditions. Habeas corpus relief aims to ensure that people will not be held for long periods in prison in violation of their rights. However, be aware that the right to ask for relief does not mean the right to get relief; the courts need clear and convincing evidence in support of a writ of habeas corpus and don’t issue them frequently.

Steps in the Appeals Process in Atlanta, GA

The appeals process in Atlanta involves several key steps managed by skilled appellate attorneys, crucial for navigating complex legal challenges. First, the losing party at the trial court level must file a notice of appeal, typically within 30 days post-judgment, to the appropriate appellate courts, such as the Georgia Supreme Court or the federal Eleventh Circuit Court.

An experienced appellate attorney then assembles the trial record, compiling all pertinent documents, evidence, and transcripts. This comprehensive record is essential for the appellate review to assess any legal mistakes made during the initial proceedings.

The next critical step involves drafting and filing appellate briefs. These briefs articulate the legal grounds for the appeal, highlighting any errors in legal judgment or oversight of substantial evidence that could influence the outcome. These are filed with the relevant Georgia court or federal court, depending on the case’s jurisdiction.

Following the submission of briefs, some cases proceed to oral arguments, providing an opportunity for appellate lawyers to further persuade the judges and clarify complex legal points. This stage allows direct interaction with the panel of judges who will decide the case’s outcome based on the arguments and the appellate law.

Finally, after deliberation, the appellate court issues a decision, which could confirm the lower court’s decision, reverse it, or remand the case for additional proceedings, based on the legal arguments presented and the evidence reviewed. This decision phase is pivotal as it determines the final resolution of the appeal, impacting the appellant’s legal rights and future.

Throughout these steps, having a competent Atlanta appeals attorney is essential to navigate the appellate process effectively, ensuring all procedural and substantive legal standards are met for a successful appeal.

Post-Conviction Options

Depending on the immediacy of your case, you can opt for either or both an appeal and petition for habeas corpus. Note that a habeas corpus petition can be filed in state or federal court, but before filing in federal court all state options must be exhausted.

Conventionally, the steps for post-conviction relief are as follows:

  • Appeal to state appellate court – contends that there were errors in the trial that require reversal.
  • Petition for rehearing to state appeals court – requests that appeals court judges change their decision.
  • State court habeas corpus petitions – requests that a state court order the jail or prison holding the defendant to release them or change conditions of incarceration that are violations of their state or constitutional rights.
  • Federal habeas corpus petition – requests that the federal court order the jail or prison holding the defendant to release them or change conditions of incarceration, because the defendant is being held in violation of the U.S. Constitution.
  • State supreme court appeal – requests that the highest court in the state review and overturn the decision of the mid-level appeals court.
  • U.S. Supreme Court appeal – requests that the highest court in the nation intervene to correct an error on the part of the state courts that violated the U.S. Constitution.

Call (404) 282-4190 for a Professional and Client-Oriented Attorney

The appeals process can be complex to navigate, especially if you are fighting against time or trying conditions. For serious and professional legal counsel, let The Law Office of Ahmad R. Crews work for you. Attorney Crews can examine the facts of your case and help you request an appeal and submit a petition for habeas corpus. He prioritizes every client’s needs and ensures they have direct access to him throughout their case.

Trust The Law Office of Ahmad R. Crews to work on your post-conviction relief. Fill out this online form to schedule your free initial consultation today.

Atlanta Criminal Defense Attorney

Client Reviews

“My family and I are well pleased with the service that we received from Mr. Crews and his staff.”

– Kathy M.

“He did a lot of good work, and I’m very satisfied with the outcome.”

– Anonymous

“My family and I are grateful for what you have done for us.”

– Anonymous

“Mr. Crews was extremely thorough and had my best interest at heart throughout the entire process.”

– Patrick

“I couldn’t have asked for a better outcome.”

– Nyrab

Recent Victories

Helping the Accused Navigate the Justice System

output onlinepngtools

Clay County Superior Court


Crisp County Superior Court

Not Guilty

DeKalb County Superior Court


Douglas County Superior Court


Fulton County Superior Court


Start Your Defense Today

Schedule A Consultation at (404) 250-3285

output onlinepngtools

What Makes Ahmad R. Crews The Best Choice?

We Create Strong Legal Strategies to Protect Our Clients from Any Charge

Screenshot(7) PhotoRoom.png PhotoRoom

chatboxOver the Phone Consultations Available

paperClose Attention Paid to Every Detail on Every Case

Screenshot(7) PhotoRoom.png PhotoRoom  Personalized Approach for Every Client

handshake Direct Access from Start to Finish